A virtual office is a setup that allows business owners and employees to work from any location they want, with the help of technology such as laptops, smartphones and internet.
A virtual office works much like a real office such as conducting meeting, conferences, documents exchanges etc. But instead of people present physically at the office and doing their job, they sit at their desired location and do everything online.
In this way a business owner doesn’t need to lease an office space and recruit local people, and the employees can sit at home or any preferred location to do work.
There are surely many advantages of working from a virtual office, apart from freedom, flexibility and being at home. For a person trying to start his/her own business, setting up a virtual office will save them from costs of leasing an office space, buying or renting furniture and office equipments.
You can save time and fuel on driving and avoid stress due to traffic jams and pollution. This is not only good for your health but for the environment’s too. Also you can spend more time with your family and friends. This will in turn, increase your efficiency and motivation for work.
So, how can I set up a virtual office at home?
If you want to set up a virtual office, you need to do it in such a way so that you can attract more and more clients. These are few things you must do:
- Get a phone line installed at your home. The cost will depend on the service type that you are going to provide. Like if your work is based on customer calls, you will get more incoming calls and if you are providing secretarial calls then you need to make calls from your side. So it is better to take a plan accordingly.
- Internet is the most important thing, rather backbone of this virtual office thing. Get a plan for internet which is under budget but also gives good quality and speed.
- For your office set-up, choose the part of home which is quiet and away from all the noises and interruptions.
- To keep your important clients files, keep a secured locked cabinet. Set up a list of all client files on your computer as well for quick access of information as and when needed.
- For the protection of your computer, install antivirus software as well as malware and always keep a back up for your important files.
- Install a webcam on your PC so that you can carry out meetings and conferences with your clients. Dress properly for any meeting.
- Keep furniture in your office which is comfortable and ergonomically made, so as to keep your body and health fine.
- Set a work schedule and follow it strictly. Take coffee or lunch breaks at set timings. Working from home doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be professional.
Once you have set up your office properly, start searching for clients which is the most tedious task. Take help of social networking sites and advertising on internet. Distribute business cards and ask your relatives and friends to talk about your newly started business. This can help to gather more and more clients.
Although it might seem difficult in the beginning, but with persistence and hard work, you can achieve what you want.
Image courtesy of BrianHolm / FreeDigitalPhotos.net